New Zealand Asian Lawyers advocate for equal access to justice for all New Zealanders and no barriers to Asian lawyers reaching the top of the profession.
NZ Asian Lawyers aims to be the peak industry body for lawyers of Asian ethnicity in New Zealand.
Currently 1 out of every 9 lawyers in New Zealand identifies as Asian. NZ Asian Lawyers collectively advocate for our profession to better reflect that demographic, and at all levels.
As a stakeholder group, NZ Asian Lawyers are regularly invited to have a say on important matters that affect the entire profession. NZ Asian Lawyers also organise public events and member events that further those objectives.
Reflecting our diversity, our aims are:
- To become the thought leader for our community;
- Be the primary hub for networking and connecting amongst our members and the profession;
- Be a focal point for education on relevant issues;
- To foster development of our members amongst the profession generally.
Become a member!
The benefits of being a NZ Asian Lawyer member include, inter alia:
- Free access to all mail-outs and events for free, including the end of year Christmas party
- Discount for New Zealand Bar Association events
- Eligibility for the mentoring scheme and also to be nominated and voted onto the Board and Board committees
- Your profile on our website – this will let everyone in the profession and potential clients know of your expertise and experience.
- Practising lawyers more than 5 years PQE $100
- Practising lawyers less than 5 years PQE $50
- Non-practising lawyers (e.g. academics, graduates without a practising certificate, and any person who has a law degree) $75
For a small firm (around 2-3 partners), $300For a medium sized firm, $750For large firms with over 10 partners, $1500
- There is no fee for students, judges and NZ Asian Lawyers’ Board/Committee members who donate their time to running this organisation
NZ Asian Lawyers is a pro-bono organisation, so your membership and membership fees are both essential for our organisation to continue with its work and future events. As we move to stand on our own, it is vital that every member makes a contribution.